Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sharing My Seizure Curing Story is Scary

I have this idea that I want to inspire other epileptics to greatness and conquering the illness.  However, I'm quite the introvert and quite a private person.  I'm determined to become more outgoing and productive both in my business and in my personal life.  But there is a fear of judgment.  I'm a little timid about sharing my story with thousands of people.  I created a video to introduce this blog, but I noticed a hole in my shirt and think I'll redo the video in a nicer shirt tomorrow. 

The other problem with documenting my experience is that it takes time and dedication.  Blogging daily is not an easy thing to do.  You have to come up with something interesting to share.  Let's face it, for anyone who has tried losing weight, there are many bland, boring points before you see results.  I'm trying to get healthy and I can forsee the results taking six months or more.  Heck, I've been trying to identify my seizure triggers for the past few years.  I've held off on blogging because the things that I tried weren't the cure to my seizures.  I didn't want to be recommending something to someone when it didn't necessarily work for me.  GAPS diet, Modified Atkins diet, Raw foods diets, acupuncture and chiropractic all made me healthier, but none cured my epilepsy.  Sometimes I would have a treatment and have a seizure that day.  That made it easy to realize it wasn't the answer. 

I'm optimistic and hoping that sharing my story will increase my dedication and improve my results.  I've stumbled upon a website that attributes the cause of seizures to hyperventilation.  This makes so much sense to me because the doctors would always have me hyperventilate during EEGs to lower my seizure threshold.  Of course, they didn't show me the EEG results and tell me that the hyperventilation increased my seizure chances.  They told me that the EEGs were normal for someone with epilepsy.  Very vague explanation if you ask me.  I'm optimistic that eliminating my hyperventilation will eliminate my seizures.

Finally, I'm also sharing my experiences with the outside implications of seizures.  This means everything that goes along with them.  I've been discriminated against.  I've lost jobs.  I haven't been able to find work.  I've struggled with health insurance and doctors.  There are many other things that people with a seizure disorder must deal with that other people simply don't understand.  Some of those things, I'd like to forget, but some of them shaped me into who I am.  There are other people with epilepsy out there who would probably appreciate knowing that someone else has gone through similar experiences.  I do realize that I am opening myself up to criticism and a lot of unsolicited advice, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment